Tuesday, November 30, 2010

What's the big deal?

My wife has already decided that she is going to take off from work on the day of the Royal Wedding between Prince William & Kate Middleton (sorry...Catherine Middleton). She posted this on her Facebook page and lots of her friends also say they will be taking the day off so that they can watch the wedding. It reminds me of the day the Sex & the City movie came out and women all over the country took off so that they could be one of the first to see it.

Can somebody please explain to me what the big deal is? I get that William will one day be the King of England, but...what does that really mean? The king or queen really does not have that much power. The Prime Minister runs the country. Not to mention the fact that we live in America...not England. Also...we really don't know who Kate Middleton is (although I do like the fact that her parents run a party supply website). Millions of Americans watched the Prince Charles and Lady Diana wedding and we know how well that marriage worked out.


Is it like if the Super Bowl was played on a Friday morning...because of that was the case, I would probably come down with a very convenient illness that prevented me from going to work. Or is it the whole "fairytale princess" idea that little girls grow up fantasizing about? Could be...although many people call me "Prince Charming" and I do treat my wife like a princess, so she's already living out that fantasy. So what is it? Let me know if you have the answer (and let me know if you'll be taking April 29th off too).

1 comment:

  1. It has nothing to do with who's going to be the King of England, or what the Prime Minister does, or who Queen Elizabeth is related to ... it has to to with the fantasy-like, fairy-tale, princess-style wedding that only a Royal Family can produce.

    The Monarchy can pound salt for all I care ... who needs them, anyway? But man, they sure can put on a show! I watched Princess Di get married, and I'll watch this one, too, if only to oooh and aaah.

    Plus, it's Jersey Mike's birthday. I told him I'd take the day off so we can do some fun birthday stuff ... AFTER the wedding.

    ReplyDelete