Tuesday, February 23, 2010

What's wrong with me?

What's wrong with me? (People who know me are probably saying to themselves, "where do I start?") What I mean to say is...why can't I get into the Olympics? I love sports. I'm patriotic. I think Lindsey Vonn is hot. So what is it? The tv ratings for the games have been huge. Last week, the coverage even beat American Idol.

I need your help! Tell me what I'm missing? Convince me why I should be more excited about the Olympics. And hurry, because the closing ceremony is on Sunday, so time is running out for me to catch the "Olympic bug!" Respond below or email me at dave@wpst.com. Thanks!

2 comments:

  1. Well, Olympics happen every 2 years (with Summer and Winter switching), so its not an everyday thing. This international sporting event of wonder brings people of many nations together, making it impossible to not to fall in love. Olympics feature a lot of different events, as every sports fan can find an event that's he or she favors. Multisport events like Olympics open up new sporting horizons. Many people in the US had no idea what curling was, but fell in love with it after watching just one game. The same goes for other "undiscovered" sports that Americans don't know of. Each Olympiad has its own cultural meaning: you learn more about the country, expanding your geographical horizons.
    Well that's all I got for you so far Dave. I fell in love with Olympics when I was 8 and stayed true to this wonderful event. Hopefully you will consider what I have said, and will tune in just for a moment and let the Olympics devour you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I mentioned this off-air before, but I feel like when I was growing up, the Olympics felt a little more "special". It only happened every four years, nothing else was on TV, and it was like the rare occasion where we'd learn how to correctly pronounce the names of foreign countries (and there were so fewer back then, thanks USSR) Not to make it seem like as people we were so less cosmopolitan or less educated, but we didn't have the Internet or 24-hour business where we interacted with foreigners all the time like we do now. It just seemed so much more exciting back then. (And by back then, I mean late 70's, early 80's) We also didn't have reality TV or celebutantes, so good ol' American athletes and Miss America were the most exciting heroes we had going.

    ReplyDelete